It’s very important that you complete your profile and storefront before starting to add products. You can find info on how to do this in the Getting Started Guide. Your Storefront and Profile will become visible as soon as you start adding products. An unfinished shop can look unprofessional and messy.
How to Add New Product
To start, you will need to be logged in. Click the Backend Link (2c.)
5ai. Product: Click on Products, then Add New.
1. Name: Type a unique name for your product.
2. Long Description: Not necessary unless you have a lot to say (the short description usually suffices)
3. Product Tags: Add in extra descriptive terms that are NOT already in your name, description or category.
4. Product Data : Leave it as Simple Product.
5. Regular Price: Type in the Product Price. Disregard the Sale price for now.
6. See below.
7. Product Image and Product Gallery: Add as many images as you like. The product image will show as a thumbnail in the shop. The other images will be visible on the product page.
8. See below.
9. Short Description: Type a few words about your product. This will appear above your long description on the product page.
6. Product Categories
6a. Products Tab: Select as many subcategories as suits your product. Selecting a subcategory AUTOMATICALLY selects its parent category, so there is NO NEED to select both. If you do not find your category here, select UNCATEGORISED and the Site Admin will create or select a category for you. If need be, contact the Site Admin to make a request.
6b. Deals Tab: This will ONLY be selected if you are offering a special promotion. Selecting this option means that this product WILL NOT appear on the Shop Pages. Please contact Site Admin to set up your Promotional Product on the Promotions page.
6c. Provinces Tabs (Western Cape, Limpopo, Gauteng, etc): These categories are to help your customers find sellers close to them. The Areas you select here should match the areas you have identified as your Local Delivery Areas. If your areas are not showing here, please contact Site Admin to have your areas added.
8a. Inventory: Fill in the details that are pertinent to your product.
SKU – if your product has a unique product code
Manage Stock – Not selected by default. Tick this box if you have limited stock. If ticked, then enter a quantity of products you have in stock.
8b. Shipping: Fill in the details that are pertinent to your product.
Weight – only required if your customer needs this info, or if your courier needs this.
Dimensions – useful for customers to see the size of your product
Shipping Class – this should show your shipping class in the drop down. Select this.
You may disregard the rest of the menu items – they are not required by default.
10a. Save as a draft to complete later.
10b. Use this product as a template to create a similar product. (See Copy Product below)
10c. Publish to be visible in the shop.
How to Create a Copy of a Product
It will save you a lot of time to set up one product with all the information, categories and tags, and then use that product as a draft to create your other products. Simply change the details as needed. There are two ways to do this.
1) As above, once you’ve published your product, click on Copy to a new draft Link (10b.)
2) From the Backend Menu, Click Products, All Products. Hover over the product you want to copy, and click on Duplicate.
This will create a new copy of that product that you can then edit. Go through the exact steps 1-10 you did to create a product with one extra step.
1a. Change the name to the new product name.
1b. Click Edit, then simply delete all the text in the Permalink field. The new link will be generated automatically based on the product name when you publish.